The Sheriff’s Office, in partnership with Missouri’s Youth/Adult Alliance and the DEA, is pleased to announce our participation in the Statewide Permanent Drug Drop Box Program.
The Statewide Permanent Drug Drop Box Program is for community coalitions that collaborate with local law enforcement officials and the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) to provide a permanent enhancement in take back efforts to prevent prescription (Rx) and over-the-counter (OTC) drug abuse in Missouri. While the Rx and OTC medication take back events provide opportunities to raise awareness and promote safe disposal of medications, the Permanent Drug Drop Box will provide a continuous opportunity to dispose of unwanted, expired, and unused medications.
The Permanent Drug Drop Box is located at the Sheriff’s Office at 215 N. Franklin Street in Kirksville. We are at the corner of Franklin and Missouri Streets.
The community may use the box Monday – Friday (excluding county holidays), between the hours of 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Please make note of what items are accepted and NOT accepted.
ACCEPTABLE DROP ITEMS:
- Persons are encouraged to remove or effectively “black-out” any labels on medication containers that contain personal information. This should also be done anytime you dispose of empty medication containers.
- Over-the-counter medications
- Medications for pets
- Liquid medication in glass or leak-proof containers
ITEMS THAT ARE “NOT” ACCEPTABLE FOR THE DROP BOX
- Needles (Sharps)
- Bloody or infectious waste
- Medications from businesses or clinics
- DEA registrants are advised to utilize the services of DEA registered reverse distributors to dispose of unwanted stock medications and to abide by the stipulations of 21CFR1307.21.
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Aerosol cans